Sunday, February 27, 2011

Black Warrior 50k

This race was kind of a last minute decision for me. I had not planned on doing it because Mt. Cheaha 50k was the week after, and I wanted to be well rested. However, Black Warrior has 25 and 50k options, and a bunch of Chattanooga folks were going down. My decision to go ahead and run was made for me in a way when Mark registered me for the 25k :). This sounded like a good plan because it would be a good last longish run before Cheaha. As the week before the race went on, however, the idea of doing the 50k seemed more and more attractive, probably not smart, but appealing nonetheless. I emailed the RD who switched me to the 50k. In all, there was going to be no less than 20 people from Chattanooga running at Black Warrior, so I looked forward to seeing everyone down there. On Friday night, I carpooled down with Mark and met up with most of the other guys at our hotel in Cullman AL, about 40 minutes from the start.
Race morning was probably the warmest day we have had all year. Temps had to be around 60, allowing me to start in short sleeves and shorts. I was so thankful to not have to wear a ton of layers and freeze my butt off waiting for the race to start. I had run this race the year before, but because I have a horrible memory of courses and no sense of direction, I didn't remember much except that it is rolling, muddy, and mostly horse trail. The course is not flat by any means but compared to the trails in TN, its pretty tame. The race starts on a dirt road that is a gradual uphill for about two miles before flattening out for a bit before runners make a hard right onto single track.
I really had no race plan but I did want to go out kinda hard to avoid the crowd and try to keep a good pace for as long as I could to try to possibly get a new PR for a 50k. When the horn went off, I ran probably the first 5 or so miles with Randy and Sal. The trail was pretty muddy in spots, the kind of mud that almost sucks your shoe right off your foot. There were a few uphills but nothing major, and I got to the first aid station around mile 6 feeling good. I ran straight through it because I still had enough water to make it the next 6 miles before filling up at aid station 2. I think it was somewhere around here that I met and ran with Joe Fejes for a bit. He was very nice, and talking with him made the time pass quickly. At the second aid station, I saw Fallon who quickly filled up my handheld and got me on my way. The course seems to get a little harder from this point, but that might just be my head playing games with me because I was starting to get tired. Nevertheless, the hills seemed more frequent with some shorter, steeper, rocky sections thrown in. Also, because the trail is open to horses, runners encountered quite a few as the day went on. Everyone was very courteous, but when a horse sees a person running at it, they often freak out a bit and understandably so. I did my best to slow down and walk around all the horses because I know what it's like to be on a spooked horse, and it's not a good feeling.
Aid station 3 is about mile 17. I was still feeling pretty good at this point but my legs were definitely hurting. I did my best to keep a good pace. Although I had no idea if it was even possible, I really wanted to see if I could break 5 hours, and so far, I was on pace, so I just hoped the wheels wouldn't fall off in the next 14 miles. Aid station 4 is at mile 22ish and is the same stop as #2, so I got to see Fallon again and meet Dan's parents. It's always cool to see people you know on the course, so this gave me a much needed mental boost. I knew there was just one more aid station where the trail pops back out on the road and runners return the same way they came at the start. Unfortunately, I also knew that it would be a decent climb to get back to the road. This section seemed to go on forever. I kept thinking I would turn the corner and see a clearing with the road. This went on for probably half an hour before I finally climbed up the last hill and saw the aid station. I was relieved and looking forward to running on the dirt road because it meant I didn't have to constantly focus on the trail below me.
The volunteer said it was 2.5 miles to the finish which was shorter than I thought, so my spirits got even better. I slammed a cup of mountain dew and headed off down the road, looking forward to being done. I checked my watch and was pretty sure I could safely break 5 hours but wanted to still run as well as I could on this last stretch. What I did forget about was how long you have to run on the road before hitting the downhill section that we ran up at the start. It seemed like an eternity before I rounded a bend and started descending. Late in a race, downhill hurts worse than uphill because of the pounding but it was nice to have gravity on my side for once. Also, the finish line is at a campground about .3 miles past the start line, so if you aren't expecting this extra bit, it can be pretty demoralizing. Finally, I crossed the little bridge where we started and ran the last part of road to the finish. I think the clock said 4:37 ish, so I was thrilled and very thankful to have had a good day. Kris and Mark were there as were Alan, Kevin, Michael, and Lance, who super speedy and had already finished. Shortly after getting something to drink and heading back over to the finish area, the rest of the Chattanooga folks can streaming in one by one. Randy, Yoli, Dreama, Dan, Wendy, Cassey, Charlene, Nik, Janice and probably a few others I'm forgetting all did awesome. It was really cool to get to spend the day with so many awesome folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment